Despite living in a digital age, most of us still love to write personalized thank you messages. Although a simple gesture, it’s always thoroughly appreciated by the receiver. However, when it comes to actually writing your thank you card or WhatsApp, it can be a little tricky to know what to say. That’s where we step in with our 30 top thank you messages, quotes and words of appreciation, as well as general advice on wording. Whether you want to say thank you to colleagues or a boss, your teacher or a nurse, or for a special occasion or gesture, such a bridal shower or anniversary gift, we have the perfect message for you.
First, we’ll show you how to say thank you with four tips on what to include, how to choose your wording- and so on.
To make things even easier, we’ve got a selection of (free) pre-written thank you messages in the MyPostcard app that you can simply insert into your personalized thank-you card! We print and send for you worldwide!
How to say thank you – four top tips
Thank you notes have certainly stood the test of time. These days, most cards already have a small printed sentiment that conveys your thanks, so you can keep it simple. In addition to this, you’ll probably want to add a short personalized message, so the receiver knows your thanks comes from the heart.
#1 Keep it simple and just say thanks
Whether you’re giving this thank you card in response to a gift, help given, following a special occasion or out of sheer appreciation, always highlight what you’re especially thankful for. Mention the occasion or action that prompted your thank you, and if it feels right, talk about how you used or wore it, or how it helped you, or what you felt during.
For example, if they sent you a dinner set as a wedding gift, you could include something like the following:
“Thank you so much for the wonderful dinner set – it’s almost too beautiful to use! We felt like royals using it last night and are looking forward to hosting our first dinner party with this set soon! Hopefully you’ll have the pleasure of testing them very soon!
If someone helped you with something more general, like recommending you for a new job, or attending a special event, you can talk about how you felt. For example:
I was so happy to see you at my (insert event), I could have kissed you! The event was such a lot of fun, and you being there was a big part of that, so thank you from the bottom of my heart!
#2 Wording for thank you messages
Needless to say, you’ll have to select the wording carefully and make sure it’s appropriate for the relationship you have with the recipient.
For example, if it’s a coworker or a neighbor (whom you’re not particularly close to), perhaps you could add something like;
- ‘You’re the best’
- ‘You made my day’
- ‘I couldn’t be more grateful for everything you’ve done, thank you’.
These are fabulous phrases for showing your gratitude without appearing over the top.
Alternatively, if you’re closer to the person, and depending on the action, you could say something like:
- ‘Your help and kindness is a gift I’ll treasure forever’
- ‘You and everything you do is such a blessing to me and those around you’
- ‘I’m touched beyond words, all I can say is thank you’.
Top Tip: Try to keep things as natural as possible. Think about how you’d speak to that person, and mimic precisely that.
#3 Timing for sending thank you messages
Try to write and send your thank you card while the gift or gesture is still at the forefront of your mind. That way you won’t forget. Three days is usually the right amount of time. However, there aren’t any hard and fast rules about this.
#4 Warm closings
Knowing how to close a thank you wishes can be just as tough. If you’re looking for something a little more original, you could try:
- Thank you, thank you, thank you!
- Forever grateful,
- Feeling spoiled,
- All the love in the world to you,
- You don’t know how much I appreciate you!
… Followed by your name – you get the idea!
Example thank you messages
A big thank you in a small message
General thank you messages for a short and sweet note of appreciation:
- Thank you so much! I don’t know how I can express my gratitude – but hopefully this card will do the trick! 😀
- Did anyone ever tell you that you’re the best? Thank you so much!
- I appreciate you so much – just thought you should know!
- You are the definition of awesome. Thanks for all your help the other day.
- You always turn up for me. I really appreciate it.
- Best gift ever, thank you!
- You’re an angel!
Quotes for saying ‘Thank you, teacher!’
How about some quotes to say thank you to a great teacher, professor or trainer? Look no further! With these thank you messages, it’s easy to exchange the pronouns with your child’s name, if you’re writing a note on their behalf.
- Can we say ‘best teacher ever’!? Thank you so much for teaching us everything this year. We appreciate that we haven’t always been easy, but it’s been an adventure we will never forget. Thank you!
- Your passion is contagious! I love how you make me want to learn more!
- Teacher, teacher burning bright, in the classrooms of the light! Thanks for inspiring me to learn and grow, and be curious at all times.
- Learning with you is challenging and complex – but never boring! Thank you, teacher.
- Without you, I could never have passed me (insert name) exam. Thanks for supporting me!
- I always thought I was unteachable. It turns out, I just needed a great teacher!
‘Thank you, nurse!’ wishes
Equally, a kind nurse, or healthcare professional can make all the difference at an incredibly difficult time in your life. And they probably don’t hear the words ‘thank you’ as often as they deserve. Here’s how you can express your appreciation in words:
- Thank you, thank you, thank you! I know you went above and beyond your job in helping me while I was in the hospital. I want you to know how very much I appreciate that – and you. You are a truly special person – I hope you know that! Thank you, nurse.
- I don’t like to think about what would have happened if you weren’t there for me, every step of the way. Of all people, you know how hard a time I was having, and how much I struggled to surface. You helped me save myself, and I think you are a real life superhero. I am so grateful.
- You help a lot of people, I guess, but I’m not sure how many of them actually remember to say thank you. So on behalf of all of them, but most of all me, thank you for everything! You’re a real life hero.
Thanks for coming messages
Check out these messages for saying thanks for attending – whether the event was a bridal shower, wedding, birthday or something else entirely!
- Thank you so much for coming! I hope you enjoyed yourself as much as we did. It wouldn’t have been the same without you.
- Seeing you there made my day! I hope you had even half as good time as I did on one of the best days of my life!
- It means so much to me that you came. My warmest appreciation.
- You bring the sunshine – how do you do that? Thank you for coming!
- Thank you for your attendance. Your support makes all the difference, and allows us to continue to make a difference!
Thank you messages for a wonderful gift!
When someone puts a lot of effort, time or money into finding the perfect gift for you, you’ll want to show your gratitude. Luckily, we’ve got some great options for you:
- Thank you so much for the wonderful gift. I can always count on you to know exactly what I didn’t even know I wanted. Thanks again!
- I wish I knew your secret. How is it that you always get the PERFECT gift? However you do it, I just want to say a big thanks!
- Words can’t express how pleased I was by your gift. It was incredibly thoughtful, and I think you know I’ll treasure it for the rest of my life.
- Where do you get your amazing taste? It goes without saying that your gift goes perfectly with everything! Thank you!
Looking for some words of appreciation to help you express your gratitude?
- I feel so grateful to you for everything you’ve done for me. You truly deserve to hear it. Thank you!
- If there’s anything you don’t hear enough, it’s how grateful I am for you. You are the kindest person I know, and I’m so thankful you’re in my life.
- I have no idea what I would do without you. I hope you know that I am truly grateful to you!
Thank you poem
Sometimes a poem says it better! Try this one on for size!
How can I say,
How grateful I am – for you?
Your kindness and thoughtfulness
Is in everything you do.
Thank you and much love!
Roses are read,
Violets are blue,
Superheroes are cool,
And so are you.
Were these thank you messages helpful?
If you loved these thank you messages as much as we did, then make sure to come back to our other ideas on what to write next time you’re looking for help with messages for any occasion. Discover what to say or search for your occasion in the search bar.