Dates don’t have to be the same old, tired ‘let’s go get drinks!’… You can go on a creative and exciting date at any time of the year, for any occasion and in any place. Whether you’re looking for fun dates ideas for Valentine’s Day, something to impress on a first date, or cool ideas for spending time together in a relationship, keep reading.
Our modern world is becoming more and more digital, which only makes the romance of a tangible love note even higher. Send a personalized love postcard with your own couple photos via the MyPostcard app. We print and send for you.
Date ideas for spring, summer, autumn and winter
Different seasons lend themselves to different date ideas. Spring, summer and autumn are all great for outdoor activities. In winter, you might prefer to snuggle up together in a warm environment, especially if there’s nowhere to grab a hot mulled wine.
- A joint visit to a flea market, to discover numerous little treasures.
- Marvel at the blooming cherry blossoms in your local botanical garden, which are in their prime in spring.
- Get active and take a tandem bike ride together, perhaps followed by a picnic outdoors.
- At Easter time, paint and hide lots of colorful Easter eggs together. Here’s how to blow out an egg.
- Play a game of mini golf (and show off your own skills in the process!)
- Watch a movie in an outdoor cinema – which tends to be a much more romantic date idea than the normal version.
- Go strawberry picking.
- Make ice cream together.
- Host a murder mystery dinner, with a focus on food and fun.
- Visit a local Oktoberfest, (or if you’re feeling daring, go to the original festival in Germany)
- Undertake a joint hike through dense forests or breathtaking mountains.
- Curate some picture-perfect places to visit, and go on an amateur photography tour during this season of colorful foliage.
- Visit a Christmas market and warm up together with mulled wine.
- Go ice skating or, if you can, skiing on the slopes!
- Bake delicious Christmas cookies and let yourself be infatuated by the smell and the romance.
- Build a snowman in your garden or in the park.
Romantic, crazy, creative and cool date ideas
Moving on to some more unique date activities that can provide the perfect change. Set your imagination free and build on one of these ideas, or combine them for a perfect date. By the way, with these romantic gestures that speak to your partner’s love language, your date can stay top in their mind for a little bit longer.
- Watch a sunset together.
- Hire a boat for a ride on the idyllic lake
- Picnic in the forest among the trees and nature to restore balance to your stressful everyday life.
- Go on a walk together during the magical dusk.
- Attend a cooking class and having fun making and tasting.
- Go on a city trip, in your country or a neighboring one.
- Break out of an escape room in your city.
- Attend a boxing class or something similar to really break the ice and try something new.
- Do karaoke together and recreate the romantic classics.
- Ride on a Ferris wheel at sunset as the perfect end to the day.
Unique, spontaneous, cute and funny date ideas
If there was nothing for you among the above romantic and creative ideas, then we have a whole range of other special and spontaneous inspiration for you. Maybe you’ll find the perfect idea for your perfect date here.
- Make and bring your partner or date breakfast in bed, just like you see in the movies.
- Fly a kite at the beach and take turns taking the reins.
- A spontaneous bowling evening is always a welcome change from the standard Netflix and chill.
- Relax properly in a thermal bath and switch off from the stress of everyday life.
- Book a joint photo shoot for the perfect souvenir photos.
- Foodies can visit a delicatessen and indulge themselves.
- A visit to a fair or folk festival is always a great experience.
- Discover your city in a completely different light during a midnight, or for early risers, sunrise walk.
- After a vacation, creating a photo book is an absolute must.
- A tandem bungee jump makes for the perfect thrill for adventurous couples.
Date ideas for a first or second date
First dates are basically the opportunity to make a great first impression, as well as to get to know and feel comfortable with someone. To create the best conditions for these things, choose a date idea that is a little different. We have some wonderful suggestions for you here.
- Eating together in a restaurant is a classic for a first date – go for a restaurant you’ve never been to before that you’ve been wanting to try.
- Alternatively, you can simply meet for a coffee together in the café of your choice. Removing alcohol from the equation, can be a really great idea to get to know them better.
- If you have a little more time, a visit to the cinema is a great idea.
- In winter you can go ice skating together, while in summer you can go on a picnic.
- Playing mini golf is also a great idea to get to know each other better.
- Active people could visit an amusement or climbing park near them.
- Going dancing, whether in a nightclub or a salsa club, is always a fun choice.
- Visiting the zoo is a little bit different and shows you’re open to changing things up.
- If you are new in town, let your partner show you around their city for the date.
- In the heat of summer, nothing beats cooling off in a lake or outdoor pool.
Date ideas for a dreamy Valentine’s Day
At the beginning of each year, the all important Valentine’s Day looms. To avoid it becoming boring or stale over the years, particularly for married or long term partners, check out these ideas for the occasion.
Don’t forget to send a Valentine’s Day card with a beautiful message inside it!
- A romantic candlelight dinner at home or in a restaurant.
- A ride in a hot air balloon can be a lot of fun even in winter temperatures.
- If you want to be pampered, take yourself and your partner or date to a wellness spa.
- If there is still snow outside, a romantic snow hike is a beautiful experience.
- Active couples could go hike up a mountain and bring a romantic picnic to eat there.
- Foodies can look at going wine tasting on Valentine’s Day.
- Alternatively, a visit to a cocktail course is also a lot of fun – and offers useful skills for future dates!
- A trip to the countryside to a secluded cottage creates the perfect romantic atmosphere.
- For a particularly sensual experience, we recommend a blackout dinner in the dark.
Cheap date ideas for a small budget
You don’t have to spend a ton of money to impress your partner and have fun. Whether it’s for Valentine’s Day, a first date, or another occasion entirely, putting a little creativity into your date ideas and activities goes a long way to keeping the cost next to nothing. Here are some free or cheap date ideas:
- A walk together in a beautiful, or an unexplored area is suitable for romantic dates on any occasion.
- Watching the sunset can also provide a lovely moment at any time of year.
- Go on a day trip to a new city
- A movie night at home costs almost nothing. Make sure to invest in some snacks or even make some!
- Admission to many museums is free, and you can even learn something about history or culture in the process!
- Thanks to iPhones and the like, creating a digital photo album doesn’t cost a thing these days, either.
- Visit a flea market and spend hours looking at the bits and pieces of the past.
- If you prefer to be active, you can also go hiking, whether in the forest or in the mountains.
- There are numerous lakes you can swim in, and parks where you can have a wonderful time playing card games or chatting.
- Volunteer together for a cause you both believe in and help others in need.
Dates ideas for a wonderful time in your own home
Wer lieber zu Hause bleibt, der kann auch dort auf wunderbare Ideen für die perfekte Date-Nacht zurückgreifen. Viele Paare mussten zeitweise sogar den Valentinstag im Lockdown verbringen, was selbst zu Hause mit der richtigen Vorbereitung kein Problem ist.
For those who prefer to stay at home, there are also wonderful ideas for the perfect date night in. Many couples at times were even forced to celebrate anniversaries, birthdays or Valentine’s Day at home due to lockdown in the last years, so may be looking to expand their ideas!
- Cooking something tasty in your own kitchen always guarantees an exciting date. If you cook often, make it a bit different by choosing a theme (e.g. a country or film).
- Plan your next vacation together.
- Game nights are back in fashion, whether on the console or with a classic board game.
- If you have a lot of time, you could also “binge” the latest ‘in’ series together – perfect for a longer date!
- Turn off the power and get to know each other again by candlelight (blackout date).
- Look at the pictures of your past vacations together and choose your favorites to get printed.
- A sensual massage of your partner also works great at home.
- Use your time together to get to know each other even better.
- Get creative, whether it’s crafting or writing poetry together.
- Mixing your own cocktails provides the perfect entertainment at home.
Online date ideas to help reduce the distance
Of course, many couples have to spend even the romantic Valentine’s Day, or important anniversaries far apart from each other. However, thanks to modern technology and the internet, nowadays, there are more options than ever.
Psst! Our romantic messages for long distance relationships are also the ideal place to start.
- Watch a romantic movie together while the webcam is running.
- Online games nowadays allow for a game night wherever you and your date are in the world.
- The experience of an escape room is now also available completely online.
- Many museums offer interactive virtual tours that you can visit together at any time.
- Of course, a webcam also allows you to have a meal or a coffee together.
- You can even cook or mix cocktails with your partner, or go on an online cocktail making course. You could even send them everything they’ll need in the post in advance as a surprise date idea!
- Online shopping can serve as an ideal substitute to a flea market if you enjoy browsing together.
- Watch a livestream, whether it’s an opera, a concert, or the Aurora Borealis – practically anything goes online these days.
- Read something to each other and concentrate completely on your partner’s voice.
Takeaway: An exciting date is always possible
We hope you were inspired by one of these creative date ideas, and can give your partner or date a wonderful surprise. Dating doesn’t have to be boring, even in a long-term partnership, as long as you’re willing to try new things, explore and get inspired!
Share this article with friends if you enjoyed it!