Thoughtful birthday wishes to your colleague, boss, client or employees can be a great way to make your fellow office heroes feel appreciated. The question just remains: What to write in their birthday card?
If you are looking for inspiration on what birthday messages to write on your coworker’s or managers card, I have a wide selection of birthday phrases and example messages. I have also looked at some of the benefits of celebrating birthdays in the office, and some of my favourite ways of doing so! If your coworker is more like a friend, then these birthday messages and tips might be more fitting for you.
Top Tip: When you order your cards at MyPostcard.com, you can choose from a whole host of pre-written messages for your convenience. I have an excellent selection of birthday cards to choose from, and you can even customise your cards with a photo.
- Benefits of celebrating birthdays at work
- What to write in your coworker’s birthday card
- Traditional birthday one-liners
- Professional messages
- Light-hearted birthday wishes for colleagues
- Close colleagues
- Professional acquaintances
- Birthday messages for the boss
- Birthday messages for employees
Benefits of celebrating birthdays at work
Taking the time to remember a coworker’s birthday is associated with a number of benefits, and celebrating office birthdays can:
- Be a great way to boost morale
- Help to promote a positive work environment
- Ensure recognition for accomplishments
- Help to ensure team-building
- Provide the opportunity to celebrate in the middle of the week!
What to write in your coworker’s birthday card
Celebrating a coworkers birthday will help to ensure that they feel valued and appreciated.
We spend so much of our waking time with the people that we work with, and good relationships with coworkers can make a huge difference to our working day. However, it can be difficult figuring out what to write on a card for them and the right wording is essential.
When writing your colleague’s birthday card, there are various points to consider, such as:
Your relationship: What you write on your coworker’s card may depend on the closeness of your relationship as well as their (and your) position in the company.
Keep it light: Avoid talking about work on the card and keep the shop talk for meetings.
Humour: You could add a funny memory, an inside joke, or even a small joke about their ever-increasing age. However, it important to remember that it is only fun if everyone appreciates the sentiment.
Type of card: If you are writing on a shared group card, it is usually best to keep your message to the minimum. You should also consider whether the message will be public or private when you are figuring out what to write.
If in doubt stick to formal wording and traditional greetings, such as:
Traditional birthday greetings
If you would prefer to include a more traditional message, you could use a general birthday greeting such as:
- Wishing you all the best on your birthday!
- Many happy returns of the day.
- Happy Birthday!
- May your birthday be the start of a year filled with good luck, good health and much happiness.
- Hope you have a great birthday!
Examples of what to write in coworker’s birthday card
Professional birthday wishes for colleagues
If you prefer, you could stick to professional and work-related messages of positivity. Here’s what to write in a coworker’s or boss’ birthday card if you have a formal relationship:
- Happy Birthday to my extraordinary colleague!
- I am so glad that you are a part of the team!
- A collection of birthday wishes from the team to you.
- You are such an invaluable member of the team.
- Blessed to have a work partner like you!
- Wishing you the happiest of birthdays from the whole team!
Light-hearted birthday messages
Alternately, you may prefer to keep things light-hearted, such as:
- Congratulations on reaching your oldest age so far!
- Happy birthday to a great coworker and an even better friend
- Hope that you get spoiled rotten on your special day!
- Hopefully, your birthday will be the one day you don’t spill your coffee!
- Here’s to another 365-day journey around the sun. Enjoy the trip!
Let your colleagues, boss, clients, and employees know that you are thinking of them on their birthday with a personalized message. Alternatively, I have a selection of example messages for a colleague’s birthday card for you to choose from.
Sending birthday wishes to a colleague who is also a pal? What to write in a coworker’s birthday card could look something like this:
I hope you know that it always cheers me up to see your name next to mine in the rota.
Have a wonderful birthday.
Lots of love,
If you have more of a professional relationship with the colleague you are sending birthday wishes to, you could consider writing something like:
Happy Birthday to you!
Working with you is always a pleasure, and I hope that you get everything you wish for on your special day.
What to write in a birthday card for the boss
If you want to write a personal yet professional message to a leader you admire, you could consider something like:
To the best boss I know!
Have a wonderful birthday- you deserve it! Thank you for challenging me all year round.
Birthday cards for employees
If you are wondering what to write on a birthday card for an employee that goes above and beyond, you could write:
You work hard year-round, so I hope you find some time to relax on your birthday! Thank you for everything that you do every time. You are valued and very much appreciated!
Celebrating birthdays at work
We often share a special bond with those we work with and putting in a little bit of effort can provide an excellent opportunity to show people how much they are appreciated. Whether you are celebrating your coworker or bigging up your boss on their birthday, I hope that these messages have helped with what to write.
By the way if, like me, you’re working remotely (thanks, 2021) then you might find these ideas for long-distance birthday celebrations handy!
Top Tip: Sending birthday cards to your coworkers, colleagues, employees and employers? Take all the stress out of sending birthday wishes and order your cards from MyPostcard. You can even personalise them with a photo and there is a range of pre-written messages (for every occasion) to choose from. Here’s how to create a card that stands out.